Analytics as an implement for obtaining data can be used in many areas of life. In our article it will be considered as a way to control the processes which occur when you runthere is possibility to evaluate the effectiveness of mobile applications and improve them. So the analytics is a set of tools with help of which we can measure, adjust, improve, add, and change all what as a result of analytical work has been identified like an inappropriate, it means, that after the analysis it can identify the main problems and shortcomings of your application.
As the mobile analytics is a system of information gathering and analysis, it can receive data from several sources. A system types from which these data are obtained can be divided into such kinds:
- App Store;
- User behavior;
- Traffic source.
All of these types of systems differ in the data source and target orientation.
Analytics of stores offers is needed in order to know how much revenue the application brings and how it is downloaded.
Analytics of user behavior should show how the application is used. Analytics of traffic sources should monitor the advertising effectiveness from various channels.
On the strength of the table, we can use each of these systems to get a good collecting analytics report in total, with help of which we will be able to understand and change the necessary segments in the application.
Setting up of analytics mobile systems
In order to start to configure the system properly it needs to do two things:
- Make a list of what you want to track in the application;
- Integrate the analytical system and test its operation in the app store (before release).
When both items are made, it can proceed to the implementation of the system directly.
Key metrics of mobile applications
In this section it will be considered a list of key metrics of mobile applications. They are:
- Metrics of the audience growth;
- Metrics of the involvement;
- Metrics of the monetization;
- User events.
Then let’s go through the list and describe the main types of metrics in more detail:
1. Metrics of the audience growth
There are three parameters and a few options of the user actions for this metric. So, the first parameter is downloads. It is a measure of the number of downloads for a certain period. You can find it in the app store.
The second parameter is total users. This is a number of users who had been opening the application since the beginning of data receiving to the current moment.
The third parameter is new users, the number of new users for the selected period (it may be different from the first parameter because it takes into account the number of users who open the application at first time).
User actions can be divided into three options:
- User downloaded and opened;
- User downloaded and didn’t open;
- At first time user opened application which was downloaded earlier.
2. Metrics of the involvement
It also consists of the defined parameters:
- Session — the number of sessions for the selected period;
- Average session length — how long on the average the user spends in the application;
- Dau/wau/mau — the number of unique users who opened applications per day/week/month;
- Session by user — the average number of the user sessions for the selected period;
- Retention (index of returns) — for the users who returned to the application on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd .. day after the first run. It is calculated for each day;
- Lifetime (the time of life) — the average number of days when the user continues to use the application.
3. Metrics of the monetization:
- Gross — total revenue from users;
- Transactions — the number of transactions, which were made for the selected period;
- Transaction by user — the average number of transactions per user;
- Average check — the average value of transaction.
This is one of the main indicators (a separate group is the indicators of paying users and revenue from users), which are calculated in the metrics. In the following articles it will be discussed in more detail with the examples.
4. User events
Event is an action that is noted by tag for this case as a “special”. The events have the properties — it is called as events parameters.
The using of this metrics is possible for such cases:
- Tracking of the certain actions in the application;
- Formation of the conversion funnels and pathways maps for the application;
- Creation of the users segments.
All major metrics give presentation on the status of the application. User events are needed not only in order to know when and how many users came, but also why. It needs to build a structure in such a way that the user will answer the important questions.
Basic analytical systems
For the analytics of the applications growth:
- APP ANNIE and DISTIMO – it shows incomes data, downloads, ratings and reviews;
- DEVTODEV – the functions are the same as above, but there is an aggregate data about applications;
- APPFIGURES — the same one, but it is a paid app.
For the analytics of the user behavior:
- FLURRY — data about the active user sessions and errors. Analysis of the traffic sources;
- GOOGLE ANALYTICS – similar to the previous one;
- MIXPANEL — fee system. Data on active users, of financial statistics and distribution.
For the analysis of the traffic sources:
- Mobile App Tracking — analyzes the sources of traffic on advertising partners by referral links;
- Appsflyer — similar to the previous one;
- Adjust — similarly, and also provides data on clicks and applications settings.
This article generally considered the aspects of mobile analytics. Each item requires a separate article and examples of usage (visit Applead for more information).